Care Can't Wait
TIME’S UP Commends Biden-Harris Administration’s $39 Billion Investment in Care Infrastructure
Biden Administration, Caregiving, Changing Laws & Policy, Equity, Federal Policy
Washington, D.C. – Today, Vice President Kamala Harris announced the release of $39 billion of the administration’s economic recovery plan funds to support the nearly 2 million women and hundreds of thousands of child care providers who’ve been struggling due to the caregiving crisis. In addition to supporting care providers with aid for rent and utilities, vaccination, and mental health support, these funds will provide subsidies for low-income families and will build the foundation for access to high-quality, affordable care.
Tina Tchen, president and CEO of TIME’S UP Now, provided the following statement:
“TIME’S UP commends the Biden-Harris administration for this historic announcement of funding to help our nation’s caregiving providers, who are predominantly small business owners and operated by BIPOC women. This commitment is a lifeline for the millions of caregivers who’ve been trying to stay afloat during this pandemic, and it reaffirms what advocates have known for decades: that caregiving IS infrastructure.
“For the past year, the COVID-19 pandemic has laid bare how fragile our care system is – and how essential it is to our economic recovery. Our lack of support for caregivers is at the heart of the gender inequity in our nation. We need national and permanent access to paid leave, affordable care in all its forms, and fair wages and protections for caregivers to build a truly inclusive and equitable economy. We’ll keep pushing for permanent care solutions, and these serious steps by the administration keep us optimistic about what is to come.”
- A POLITICO/Morning Consult poll found broad support for President Biden’s infrastructure plan (57% vs. 24%), including support for paid leave and caregiving.
- According to the poll, 47% of people agree that paid leave is infrastructure, including 31% of Republicans.
- What’s more, 53% of people agree that child care is infrastructure, including 40% of Republicans.
- And 54% of people agree that caregiving is infrastructure, including 43% of Republicans.
- A Data for Progress poll found that 71% of voters – including 64% of Independents and 58% of Republicans – support investing in care infrastructure.
TIME'S UP Now
TIME’S UP™ Now is the nonpartisan and not-for-profit advocacy arm of TIME’S UP. We advocate for safe, fair, and dignified work for all in the public and private sectors, calling for an end to harassment and other related forms of discrimination on the job. And we fight to rebuild the systems that have taken away women’s power for far too long. TIME’S UP Now is a 501(c)(4) social welfare organization.